Sunday, January 23, 2011

What does Kaj Siab mean?

People often ask me what my logo "Kaj siab" stands for. So this post is to answer that question. Kaj siab is a Hmong word which translate to "happy heart" or "better heart". Yes, I am a Hmong American. For those out there who do not know who the Hmong are, as stated in the wikipedia; The Hmong are an Asian ethnic group from the mountainous regions of China, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. Hmong are also one of the sub-groups of the Miao ethnicity (苗族) in southern China. My family were refugees of the Vietnam war. We came to the United States in 1986 in search of a better life. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to come to the United States and I never take it for granted.

So, why choose those words, "Kaj siab"? Because when I craft and do my work, I feel complete joy and happiness. I craft from my heart and with all my heart. That's why the name is so perfect for me. The name may sound funny but it has a beautiful meaning behind it. I hope that clarifies it. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment